About Me

My photo
Malmesbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
I'm Ben Golding, 18, studying at Malmesbury School Sixth Form. I love Film making and I am particularly interested in the way technology is used to create Film. I am also a Muscian who loves playing music and composing. I have created a few films in the past where my main role was editing, which I'm very interested in (see blog), and I also composed some music for it.

Friday 26 February 2010

Pedro Almodóvar

Almodóvar is possibly the most successful and internationally known Spanish director. His films include complex storylines, impertinent humour and popular music. Almodóvar explores themes of identity, desire and passion in his films. He is a respected Director all over the world and he is a major figure in world cinema.



Almodóvar became interested in film in the 1970’s, specifically in experimental cinema and theatre. His first full length film, ‘Folle, folle, fólleme, Tim’, was of a sexual nature and many of his early short films also took on sexual themes. When interviewed about his success he made it clear that he believes that the purpose of film, ultimately, is to entertain. He is inspired greatly by early Hollywood films in which the film revolves around a female protagonist.

Almodóvar has made 17 feature length films since 1980 and 11 short movies throughout the 1970’s. He has won an impressive 90 Awards, including an Oscar for Best Writing of an Original Screenplay. He has also been nominated for a further Oscar and 61 other awards.

The film he won his Oscar for was a film called “Hable Con Ella” (Talk to Her). The film was released in 2002 and has received over $50,000,000 since its release.

I have recently watched Almodóvar's 1997 film 'Live Flesh'. I was impressed by the way the plot was told. I found it very clever how the characters all came together at the start and it ended with the same characters, all still linked because of their initial meeting. I was almost particularly impressed with the cinematography. Some of the angles used were very unusual which made it very interesting to watch.

I plan to watch his 1999 film 'All About My Mother' next before studying in class his Oscar winning film, 'Talk To Her', made in 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment